3. A whole bunch of Baidu workers are working across the clock and borrowing laptop chips from different departments to prepare for the launch of Ernie Bot, Baidu’s reply to ChatGPT, this coming Thursday. (Wall Avenue Journal $)
4. Shou Zi Chew, TikTok’s CEO, has sought closed-door conferences with not less than half a dozen lawmakers in Washington, DC. He’s scheduled to look earlier than a congressional listening to concerning privateness and nationwide safety issues about TikTok later this month. (Forbes $)
5. China could management 32% of the world’s lithium mining capability by 2025, the funding financial institution UBS AG estimates. (Bloomberg $)
6. China reappointed Yi Gang as the top of the central financial institution, signaling continuity in its financial insurance policies. (AP)
7. The “996” overwork tradition in China, embraced by tech firms a number of years in the past, shouldn’t be going away simply. An government at a Chinese language auto firm lately requested its authorized division to determine “find out how to keep away from authorized dangers” in asking workers to work on Saturdays. (Sixth Tone)
Misplaced in translation
In central China, a younger entrepreneur is reimagining retirement properties by instructing the senior residents find out how to play e-sports. As Chinese language gaming publication ChuApp stories, Fan Jinlin, a 25-year-old in Henan province, took over his household’s retirement home based business after school. He began creating video content material in regards to the lives of the residents and rapidly attracted tens of millions of followers on Douyin, the Chinese language model of TikTok.
In February 2022, he started constructing an e-sports room in his fifth retirement house and recruiting seniors who’re serious about video video games. Zhang Fengqin, a 68-year-old retired financial institution clerk, is considered one of them. She noticed the information on Douyin and utilized. Quickly, she grew from somebody who didn’t even know find out how to use a mouse to a proficient participant of Teamfight Techniques, a preferred recreation that doesn’t require fast reflexes as a lot as strategic pondering. In the end, Fan needs to construct an expert staff to play in tournaments, however to realize that, he would wish not less than seven individuals like Zhang. Proper now he solely has three.
Yet one more factor
The quantity 2,952 has disappeared from China’s social media platform Weibo. Why? As a result of President Xi Jinping prolonged his rule for one more 5 years final week, having obtained 2,952 votes approving the extension—with zero opposed and nil abstaining—in China’s ceremonial legislative physique, the Nationwide Folks’s Congress. Whereas everybody knew Xi would get a 3rd time period, the truth that there was not a single opposition vote nonetheless bought folks speaking about how pointless the process was. Only a few days later, Weibo blocked search outcomes on the quantity.